Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"What are we gonna go today?"

This is the question I get asked on a daily basis by my two kids who are home for summer vacation.  Every single day..... so imagine their surprise when the answer today was "hike a mountain!".  I am not sure surprise is a very good word for it. With a backpack packed for each of us off we went to hike up Mount Uncanoonuc in nearby Goffstown, NH (a little under half hour drive).
I won't bore you with all the details...we did have a tough time finding the parking for the trail, but once we got there we had a great time.  I found I needed to remind my kids many times that we had all day to complete this hike and that we did not have to rush at all.  I knew the entire hike was not going to be very long so I knew I was safe telling them that.  We had to stop a few times to rest which was fine with me...some of the trail was pretty steep!!  Each of them had a camera to take pictures of what ever they wanted to...I had given them a photo scavenger hunt to do but they did not really seem to interested in that. 
Once we reached the summit of the mountain we were treated to this pretty view:


BUT, we actually missed the view we had wanted to see....all because of one trail we decided not to go up.  Oh well....maybe next time!
Of course what does anyone do after they finish hiking?  Get ice cream of course!!
Oh and note to self...maybe a three mile run the same day as a hike up a mountain is not such a great idea.  Boy are my legs sore....but it was worth it.
So until next time, go hike a mountain or a trail, get outside with your kids (or someone else's kids), don't forget the ice cream and stay strong!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Yup, guess I need to go back and try again.

    ReplyDelete