Thursday, May 15, 2014

My worst race....almost

So here I am sitting on my couch, ice under my calf and on the verge of tears.  Tonight I ran one of my favorite races...Rock n Race in Concord New Hampshire.  This race is for such a great cause and means so much to me because it benefits Concord Hospital's Cancer Care Center.  I run this race in honor of loved one who have passed one and in honor of anyone who is battling or has battled cancer.  It has an emotional meaning to it which is why I was so determined to do well.  I have to admit I was shooting for a sub 30 5K finish.  What ended up happening I will never forget.
I was cruising down the road at a much fast pace then I think I have ever run when it happened...my whole left calf became extremely tight and cramped up on me.  I tried so hard to run normal on it thinking it would stretch itself out but instead I was actually limping.  My leg was just not allowing me to run!  I moved over to the side of the street a few times to stretch it out and resume running but nothing was working.  I was faced with a problem I had never faced before...and I wasn't even a mile into the race!!!!  I was turning around to walk back to the start when a friend found me.  She asked if I was O.K. and I said no with tears in my eyes.  After a much needed hug she encouraged me to keep walking and told me I needed to finish the race even if I had to walk it.  So that is what we did.  We walked along and talked, I texted on my phone to a friend and we even had some chips and salsa along the way!  Who gets to do any of that while running a race?!?! 
So I am hoping that this was a one time occurrence and that I will not have any soreness in my leg tomorrow.
As for my finish time...I don't ever want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment